Try better-for-you baking
During the holidays, it is easy to veer from a heart healthy diet and lifestyle. This can be made even more challenging when it comes to desserts. After all, who can say no to delicious baked goods from friends and family?
When it comes to baking your own treats at home, incorporating a soft, non-hydrogenated margarine can help make cookies soft and chewy.
Becel Buttery Taste margarine is made with a blend of oils, including canola and sunflower oils, and contains 80 per cent less saturated fat than butter. It also has no artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives.
This holiday season, try this simple and delicious cookie recipe as your first step towards better-for-you baking.
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Becel Buttery Taste margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flax seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat margarine with sugars in large bowl. Mix eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Gradually add in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Add oats, cranberries, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and mini chips.
- Drop mixture by the tablespoon on ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Slightly press each cookie down before baking. Bake five to seven minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool two minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from sheets and cool completely.
Nutrition information and more recipe ideas can be found at Becel.ca.