When it comes to recipes, some classics are ripe for reinvention. Take this fresh twist on the traditional chicken salad sandwich, which boasts more fibre, protein, and other nutrients – in addition to a great taste.
The naturally fermented bread brings this sandwich to the next level, adding the perfect texture and aroma to set off the flavours.
According to registered dietician Abbey Sharp, “Fermentation provides probiotics or ‘good’ bacteria, which are great for supporting our immune systems and for regulating digestion. Fermentation is also known to bring out rich and delicious flavours.”
Sharp recommends pairing the sandwich with a fresh bottle of ginger kombucha to add a unique and appealing tang.
Curry Apple Chicken Salad
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 large green apple, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) halved red grapes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) minced shallots
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chives, minced
- 1 loaf (12 slices) Stonemill Bakehouse Sprouted 3 Grains bread
- In a large bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Into the bowl, add the chicken, apple raisins, grapes, shallots, celery, and chives. Toss until everything is well coated in the dressing.
- Divide mixture between 6 slices of bread and top each with the corresponding slice.
- Find more information at stonemillbakehouse.ca.