Funeral planning in Ontario now gives you more options
However, new legislation will simplify the process for families and give them more choices and protection.
Here are some of the benefits of the new Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, which came into effect in 2013:
- Where properly licensed, a service provider, such as a funeral home or cemetery, can offer you the option of making all the necessary arrangements for a number of different services, such as a visitation, funeral, burial or cremation at one location.
- The service provider is now required to provide you with a copy of a helpful consumer guide and a price list for the services it offers.
- You now have 30 days in which to change your mind after purchasing any arrangements.
- Prepaid contracts are guaranteed. If you’ve paid your contract in full, your service provider must supply everything specified in the contract when you need it and without any additional charges, even if prices have increased.
- You now have the right to re-sell pre-purchased interment or scattering rights at current market value.
More information is available online at www.ontario.ca/consumerservices or at www.funeralboard.com.