Whether you’re serving flatbread, sliced veggies or your favourite crackers, it’s always a challenge figuring out the perfect dip to accompany them. Try this rich and flavourful appetizer recipe below.
“Roasting garlic mellows the sharpness and enhances its natural sweetness, giving this rich dip an addictive caramelized flavour”, shares Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school. “Be sure to wipe out your food processor after pulsing the frozen greens, as any leftover bits in the bowl will tint the cream cheese mixture.”
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) 100% pure sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen PC organics chopped leafy greens; kale, spinach and collard greens
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC Organics 14% M.F. sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Trim top of garlic head to expose cloves. Arrange, cut side up, in centre of 10-inch (25 cm) square of foil; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Fold foil over and seal edges to make packet. Place on baking sheet. Bake until tender and golden; about 45 minutes. Unwrap; let cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse frozen greens in food processor until finely chopped. Scrape into fine mesh strainer set over large bowl. Set aside.
- Wipe out food processor and squeeze in garlic cloves. Add cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne pepper and remaining salt; pulse just until smooth, stopping to scrape down bowl if necessary. Transfer to separate large bowl.
- Press greens with back of spoon to squeeze out liquid; discard liquid. Stir greens into cream cheese mixture until well combined.
Chef’s tip: To soften cream cheese quickly, cut into cubes and arrange in a single layer on a plate. Let stand at room temperature until soft enough for your finger to make an indent in the cream cheese when gently pressed.