Zesty Zucchini Boats
Blend mushrooms with meat to cut down on cost, lighten the meal and add an extra serving of veggies.
If you aren’t a big spice fan, then reduce the heat by removing the chipotle pepper.
Bonus: the filling can be made a day ahead of time, which is great if you’re having company over.
- 200 g (7 oz) white button mushrooms, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 6 medium-sized zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2-pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 chipotle pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Add mushrooms to a large food processor and pulse until they are small uniform pieces.
- Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop the insides out, leaving about half a centimeter around the skin. Chop zucchini insides into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and ground turkey and cook for about 5 minutes, until no pink remains in the turkey.
- Add mushrooms, chopped zucchini flesh, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add corn kernels, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper. Stir to combine. Remove pan from heat.
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, arrange scooped-out zucchinis.
- Spoon the turkey and mushroom mixture in. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, and zucchinis are cooked through.