Quinoa and Florida Grapefruit Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 4 large poblano or anaheim peppers (about 1 lb/454 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Florida ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 Florida grapefruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced canned chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) granulated sugar
- Place peppers about six inches (15 cm) under broiler and roast peppers, turning often until blackened and charred. Let cool until easy enough to handle and gently remove charred skin. Carefully cut a long slit on the side of each pepper and remove seeds, trying to keep pepper whole. Set peppers aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion and garlic for about two minutes or until softened. Stir in quinoa to coat. Add grapefruit juice and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in grapefruit, feta, cilantro, chipotle and sugar.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into peppers and nestle in a small casserole dish. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is slightly golden.
- Makes 8 servings.