Cajun Spice Roast Turkey
The pressure to not overspend is on for half of Canadians during the holiday season, according to a survey commissioned by Walmart Canada.
This year, you can stick to your budget with this delicious Cajun-inspired turkey recipe that offers a not-too-spicy kick that uses pantry essentials to serve eight people for just $16.54, or $2.07 per person.
- 5-7 kg frozen turkey, thawed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each, cayenne pepper (optional), garlic powder, salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 325 F (160 C). Place a rack in a large, deep roasting pan. Dry turkey well with paper towels. Mix all seasonings together in a small bowl. Reserve 1 tsp of spice mix. Add butter to remaining mixture and combine. Rub under and on skin of turkey. Place turkey on rack in prepared pan.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 170 F (75 C), leg moves easily when twisted, and juices run clear; about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, tent loosely with foil, and let rest at least 30 minutes before carving.
Tip: For an extra boost of flavour, add a halved lemon, 4 unpeeled garlic cloves, and a handful of parsley to turkey cavity before roasting.
Find more delicious Christmas recipes at www.walmart.ca/recipecentre.